LEAFY GREEN SCRAMBLED EGGS January 23 2021
Simple and delicious this dish will win its permanent place in your brunch menu. If you think scrambled eggs can not be in a healthy recipe, think again. The greens combined with low-fat cheese make the scrambled eggs not only tasty but also nutritious.
2 Tb oil, butter, or ghee
4 spring onions, washed and sliced into 1/2cm moons
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup spinach washed and cut into smaller chunks
50 g feta cheese cut into 1cm cubes
12 large organic eggs
alfalfa sprouts or chives to garnish
1. Heat 1 tablespoons of the oil or butter in a sauté pan over medium heat. When the butter has melted, add the spring onions, a pinch of salt, and sauté for 2 minutes. Add the spinach, some more salt, and cook it a minute more, or until the leaves are tender.
2. Add the feta cheese and gently mix it with the veggies in fashion that would allow it to maintain form.
3. While the onions, spinach, and feta cook, crack the eggs into a large bowl and whisk. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Remove the sautéed vegetables to a bowl and add the remaining 1 tablespoons of oil or butter to the pan.
3. Pour the eggs into the pan and cook over medium-low heat for 5 to 7 minutes, scraping the bottom of the pan and stirring constantly with a spatula. When the eggs are almost set but still a bit runnier than you like them, add the sautéed veggie and feta mix back into the pan, stir to combine, then transfer to a serving platter.
4. Garnish with alfalfa sprouts or chopped chives and serve immediately.